Gas explosion claims life of one year old baby in Masindi

Posted: 2018-06-07T07:51:42Z Read: 2,256 times
Gas explosion claims life of one year old baby in Masindi

Afuzan Kiwewa a one and half-year-old child has lost his life after an unattended gas stove exploded at the parent’s place in Masindi town. 


Little Kiwewa breathed his last at Kitara Medical Centre where he was rushed with severe burns on Tuesday afternoon, after a gas stove that was left unattended by her mother in a rented room along Commercial Street in Masindi town exploded burning the infant severely. 


According to Aza Segujja, the daughter of Haji Ibrahim Segujja, building owner, Kiwewa's mother left water boiling on the gas stove and went to buy tea leaves from the nearby shops.


However, the gas stove burst into flames burning the baby and the entire household items. 


Late Kiwewa was rescued from the burning room by a man and rushed to Wanainchi Clinic with severe burns before transferred to Kitara Medical Centre where it breathed its last.


Another tenant on the affected building Davis Barungi, told Howwe.biz that residents put out the fire before it spread to other shops. 


By the time Masindi Fire and Rescue Brigade arrived, residents had already contained the situation. 


The Masindi District Police Commander Samuel Odong, advised the public to give police prompt to act immediately.