COVID19 Cases rise to 18 in Uganda as South Africa registers 2 Deaths 

Posted: 2020-03-27T09:26:23Z Read: 2,421 times
COVID19 Cases rise to 18 in Uganda as South Africa registers 2 Deaths 

The ministry of health has announced an increase in the number of COVID19 cases from 14 to 18. The four new cases presented with symptoms similar to those of COVID19. They were a part of 197 people that were tested on Thursday. 


Meanwhile, the 12 Ugandans and two foreigners who tested positive to Coronavirus are in a stable condition, the ministry of health reports. The report follows social media rumors that one of the cases had died.


Uganda has 18 positive cases that are under medical care. On Thursday, the internet was awash a video of the father and mother of the 8 months baby who tested positive to the disease after its father traveled from Kenya with it.


The couple claimed that they had been picked, dumped and abandoned at Mulago hospital without any kind of care or help. The video spread like wild fire from Facebook to Twitter, WhatsApp among other media platforms. This prompted the ministry to clarify on the matter last night.


“The 8 months old baby, her mother and father were transferred from Iganga hospital to Mulago National specialized hospital where they are well attended to, fed well and remain in a stable condition” Dr. Henry Mwebesa the Director General Health Services revealed.


He added that a testing centre has been established at Ward 2A at Mulago national specialized hospital mainly for individuals who traveled from Dubai UAE in the last two weeks. Individuals who did not travel from Dubai in the above mentioned period continue to flock the hospital causing severe congestion and a lag in service delivery. Dr. Mwebesa says this is being addressed through counseling and vetting patients who are seeking for COVID19.


574 individuals traveled from Dubai, UAE in the past two weeks and have all been identified country wide. “Out of these, 129 are in institutional quarantine. Samples were removed from 40 travelers who had COVID19 like symptoms. Fortunately, all the 40 tested negative” Dr. Mwebesa revealed.


A total of 2,661 travelers including Ugandans identified as potential risk have been either under self-quarantine or institutional quarantine. Of these, 1,206 are under follow up, 893 under institutional quarantine, while 435 are under self-quarantine. 


Also, a total of 1,431 high risk travelers have completed their 14 days of follow up and have been issued with certificates of completion of mandatory quarantine. The public has been advised to continue reporting any suspicious cases to the nearest health facilities or call the ministry.


Meanwhile, South Africa and neighboring Kenya have confirmed first deaths due to coronavirus. The South Afica’s minister of health Dr. Zwelini Mkhize says two people died in the Western Cape, one at a private hospital and another at a public hospital. 
He also confirmed that the number of positive cases had risen to over 1000.