Former president and founder of National Unity, Reconciliation and Development Party, currently known as National Unity Platform , NUP Moses Nkonge Kibalama has told High Court under oath, that he has been under detention by state security for two weeks in Mbale, with heavy military guarding his home in the name of protection.
Last week, Brig. Flavia Byekwaso the military spokesperson told the nation that some people had threatened to attack Kibalama at his home, prompting the state to aid him with military guards, but he was not in anyway, under involuntary detention.
Prior to this, Kibalama recorded a video claiming the new NUP owners led by their party president Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu alias Bobi Wine, had failed to pay the amount agreed upon in the sales agreement which he alleged to be US$5 million.
However, while appearing before Court on Friday he asked court to help him regain his freedom, claiming that he had been summoned by the Chief of Defence Forces Gen. David Muhoozi, who quizzed him about changes in party leadership.
Kibalama further disowned the video in which he appeared claiming that he was promised 5 million dollars to change party leadership.
Meanwhile, Bobi Wine later said they are demanding for Kibalama’s freedom, claiming that he appeared timid and even confirmed that there were security operatives in Court premises.
“He cried several times during cross examination” Bobi says.
According to the NUP president, he took oath of office on 14th July, 2020 at Kakiri Gardens & Hotel after being elected as President of the National Unity Platform. The oath was administered by the outgoing Secretary General, Mr. Paul Ssimbwa Kagombe in the presence of Mr. Moses Nkonge Kibalama, the outgoing President.