A number of elderly persons in Lwengo district have fled their homes due to threats of attack by unknown assailants who have so far killed over 28 people in Greater Masaka area.
Over seven homes in Kyoko, Mirembe and Kaganda villages in Kingo sub-county Lwengo district have been abandoned due to the apparent state of fear caused by machete-wielding assailants who have hacked several people in recent days.
According to Robina Naluwu, the Kaganda parish councilor, the owners of the homes fled for dear lives after the assailants wrote messages on their walls threatening to strike any time.
Robina Naluwu, the Kaganda parish councillor, says that the recent murders that seem to largely target people of advanced age have bred a lot of fear among residents prompting some of them to flee their homes.
She noted that some of the senior citizens have been taken away by their relatives living outside Lwengo district while those who live in isolated houses are moving in the communities where they feel relatively safer.
Naluwu says that despite the heightened security presence in the area, there is still growing fear among residents especially after they woke up and found leaflets and their walls painted with threatening messages on Monday.
According to Gerald Kasumba, a 79-year-old resident of Mirembe village and his 69-year-old wife Christine Nakabogere, they have deserted their home because of security concerns. They are currently spending their nights in the neighboring home where they converge and feel a little safer.
Kasumba says that they only return to their home in the morning, saying this has now become part of their routine until the situation normalizes.
ASP Muhammad Nsubuga, the Greater Masaka Regional Police Spokesperson, says that they have identified blackspots where they have increased security deployment. He says that they have got clear leads into their investigations, adding that soon the situation will normalize.