- Dubbed the MTN SUPL Fans Awards, the initiative follows the completion of the 2020-2021 SUPL season that involved fans voting for their best performing players, coaches, and clubs,
- The awards follow the successful five-months online engagement spearheaded by MTN to keep the football passion alive amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- The awards are in favour of the club and personalities solely chosen by the SUPL football fans. Up to three fans with the highest online engagements shall also win cash.
- Fans can vote (from the monthly winners’ shortlist) for their favourite footballer, coach, and club on the MTN website sports.mtn.co.ug/fansawards and via the Sanyuka TV Facebook page.
MTN Uganda, the number one supporter of football in Uganda and the official broadcasting partner of the SUPL league with Sanyuka TV is set to reward the overall football personalities and fans of the StarTimes Uganda Premier League (SUPL) in the just concluded football season, at the end of this month. The awards dubbed “MTN SUPL FANS AWARDS” follow the successful voting and monthly cash prizes that MTN has been extending to club football players and coaches as voted by the SUPL fans since February 2021 until the end of the season in May this year. The most engaged fans online have also been beneficiaries in these monthly activations
The SUPL 2020-21 season kicked off at a time when fan activity in the stadia was curtailed because of the difficulties with enforcing COVID-19 SOPs. As such, football fans were only able to watch their favourite clubs on Sanyuka TV which has the broadcast rights for the local league.
Talking about the upcoming MTN SUPL Fans Awards, Somdev Sen, the MTN Uganda Chief Marketing Officer said that the advent of the pandemic denied football fans the excitement of being in the stadium and supporting their favorite teams of Uganda’s most popular sport.
“As MTN Uganda, we ensured that the game of football remained exciting for the fans through the various online engagements where the fans voted for their favorite players and coaches that we have been rewarding on a monthly basis. Next month, we shall be rewarding the overall season’s winners,” Somdev said, urging football fans to vote for their favorite personalities and team on the MTN Website sports.mtn.co.ug/fansawards and the Sanyuka Facebook page.
The award categories include; the MTN Fans Player of the season, the MTN Fans coach of the Season and the MTN Fans Club of the Season. Up to three football fans with the highest number of online engagements will be also awarded.
Below is the full list of categories and nominees that fans can vote for ahead of the awards:
MTN Fans Player of the Season
Four players who each emerged as player of the month (Feb – May 2021) during the season, under the MTN – SUPL activation are the nominees against whom Fans will vote for their best player.
1. Ibrahim Orit (Vipers SC) – Fans Player of the month Feb
2. Steven Mukwala (URA FC) – Fans Player of the month March
3. Samuel Ssekamatte (Bright Stars FC) – Fans Player of the month April
4. Eric Kambale (Express FC) – Fans Player of the month May
Prize for the winning Player of the Season: UGX. 10million
MTN Fans Coach of the Season
4 coaches of the month selected during the short-lived season of MTN – SUPL activation are the nominees from whom Fans will vote for their best coach.
1. Waswa Bossa (Express FC) – Fans Coach of the Month Feb
2. Sam Ssimbwa (URA FC) – Fans Coach of the Month March
3. Baker Mbowa (Bright Stars FC) – Fans Coach of the Month April
4. Douglas Bamweyana (Wakiso Giants) – Fans Coach of the Month May
Prize for the winning player of the season: UGX. 10million
MTN Fans team of the Season
All SUPL teams in the season (except for those relegated) are eligible for this award. The fans will vote for their favorite team.
1. Express FC
2. URA FC
3. Vipers SC
4. KCCA FC
5. Bright Stars FC
6. Uganda Police
7. Mbarara City
8. The Saints FC
9. Wakiso Giants
10. SC Villa
11. BUL FC
12. Onduparaka FC
13. Busoga United
Prize for the winning club: UGX. 30million
MTN Fan of the Season
Amongst the monthly fans rewarded, 3 individuals with the highest online engagement overall in the period February – May 2021, will be identified and rewarded. No voting will be done for this award. The prizes include.
• 3rd Most active fan: 500,000/=
• 2nd Most active fan: 1,000,000/=
• Overall, most active fan: 1,500,000/=