Police has confirmed the death of two people while another is fighting for life at Kiruddu hospital following a fire that gutted several houses in Kyemuka Zone in Kamwokya, destroying property worth millions of shillings.
Luke Owoyesigyire the PRO KMP says the fire that started at 7:00 pm and is suspected to have been caused by electric sparks from one high power voltage line.
According to eyewitnesses, the fire first gutted wooden structures before it spread to several makeshift houses and destroyed property such as mattresses, fridges, Television sets among other items.
The deceased have been identified as Okware Stephen 29 years, a resident of Mulimira zone and Amiya Caroline 17 years, a resident of Kufumbira zone.
Owoyesigyire says one person is admitted at Kiruddu hospital, while several others got minor injuries that did not warrant them to be taken to the hospital.
Due to poor and narrow roads and congestion, it was difficult for the Fire brigade police to access the scene, leaving the affected residents with no choice but to put out the fire in the possible ways they could.
Meanwhile, there are reports that some residents were electrocuted while trying to retrieve their properties while several others were injured in a stampede caused by sparks from electric wires of the high-power voltages.