Arua Monsignor Adeti who caned priest has been granted bail

Posted: 2020-05-14T10:14:46Z Read: 1,259 times
Arua Monsignor Adeti who caned priest has been granted bail

Arua Catholic Diocese Monsignor Kasto Adeti has been granted a 20 million Shillings non-cash bail by the Chief Magistrates Court in Arua following a case of assault and causing grievous harm to Fr. Lazarus Ejoyi.


Monsignor Adeti presented two sureties, Fr. Sabino Diku the first Curate of Ediofe parish and Fr. Nobert Azale who were granted a non-cash bond of 15 million Shillings each, after a two-hour plea taking and pre-trial session held on Wednesday evening, moments after Monsignor Adeti pleaded not guilty to the case.


Monsignor Kasto Adeti allegedly assaulted Fr. Lazarus Ejoyi with a wooden stick, and broke his right arm during an incident in the Parish priest’s residence at Ediofe Cathedral on April 29, 2020. 
The victim was removed by Bishop Ocan Odoki from Kijomoro Parish in 2017 and has never been deployed. He claims Monsignor Adeti assaulted him on grounds that he was not supposed to be at the diocese.


William Bayo the State Prosecutor asked court to send Monsignor Kasto Adeti on remand until investigations into the matter are completed, but the presiding judge Daniel Lubowa said that the Monsignor has a known place of abode, is aged, and had produced the required sureties.


Defense Counsel Jimmy Madira says the bail application succeeded narrowly because the prosecution was all out to use available avenues to have him remanded to prison.   


Meanwhile, the two parties are expected to report back to court for the commencement of case hearing on June 15 2020. 
In November last year, Monsignor Adeti locked Fr. Ejoyi’s room to stop him from accessing it. It was however opened by officers from Arua Central Police station.