Three Police officers arrested regarding the kidnap and murder of social worker Maria Nagirinya have been paraded before Court on charges of negligence. The officers were arrested on the orders of President Yoweri Museveni following the kidnap of Nagirinya and her driver Ronald Kitayimbwa.
The President’s order followed a revelation by the victim’s father Francis Lubowa who narrated that they alerted police soon after the two had been kidnapped but police at Natete and Katwe remained reluctant.
While appearing before the police court this afternoon, three Assistant Superintendents of Police - ASPs Muhammad Byansi - Officer in Charge of Natete Police Station, Andrew Nizeyimana - Natete OC Criminal Investigations and Allan Okello- Natete Patrol Commander denied the charges of negligence.
According to ASP Byansi, on the fateful night of August 28, he was in the field coordinating other police teams while Nizeyimana said he offered the necessary help to the relatives who visited Natete Police Station after Nagirinya had been kidnapped.
As for Okello who was supposed to be on standby with police patrol to respond to any emergency, said he did what was within his means though he did not elaborate what he did to rescue Nagirinya.
A project coordinator for Community Integrated Development Initiative - CIDI based in Muyenga along Tank Hill road, Nagirinya was kidnapped in front of her gate together with her driver Kitayimbwa in her vehicle Spacio UBA 570V. Their bodies were dumped in Mukono.
At least six prime suspects have been arrested by Police and Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence - CMI and have since been charged in court.
The other police officers who have been charged but denied the negligence charges include Assistant Inspector of Police Sande Baguma, Cpl Samuel Owona, Constable Joshua Basaliza, Constable Deo Kitutu and Cpl Kibikwamu