Hoima man in trouble for faking Own Kidnap

Posted: 2018-03-06T14:07:57Z
Hoima man in trouble for faking Own Kidnap

Godfrey Katusiime 50, a resident of Bwikya ward in Mparo division is being held by the Police Flying Squad in the Albertine Region Police for faking his own kidnap and receiving money by false pretense

According to Julius Allan Hakiza, the Albertine Region police spokesperson, Katusiime disappeared from his home on Thursday evening last week. A few hours later, Katusiime called his wife, Alice Nyandera claiming that he had been kidnapped and that his kidnappers wanted a ransom of Shillings 2 million to release him or else eliminate him. 

A shaken Nyandera rushed and filed a case of kidnap at Hoima central police station on Friday morning. Katusiime called his wife again on Friday afternoon alleging that the kidnappers had given them a deadline of six hours to find the money or else they kill him.
Quickly, the family members raised the required money with the help of area residents and sent it to Katusiime's mobile phone.  The Police Flying Squad then swung into action to find the missing person. Police smoked Katusiime from his hideout in Butebere village in Buhanika Sub county Hoima district on Sunday night at around 11:30pm.
They also recovered Shillings 1.5 million from Katusiime's phone believed to be part of the Shillings 2M sent on his mobile phone. He was then whisked off to Hoima Central police station where he is custody. Hakiza says that upon interrogation, Katusiime admitted having faked his kidnap, saying he wanted money to settle a debt at Encot Microfinance in Hoima.
The suspect will be charged with receiving money by false pretense and faking his own kidnap once investigations are complete. He cautioned members of the public to be alert, saying some people are faking their kidnap to obtain money from their unsuspecting victims.

Katusiime’sz arrest comes a few days after unidentified people kidnapped 25-year-old Susan Magara and demanded a ransom of US$ 1 million from her parents. Despite receiving part of the money, the kidnappers killed Magara drewing angry reactions across the country.

 No suspect has been arrested in connection to the incident.