Kisubi High School Students Suspended over girls

Posted: 2017-07-17T07:47:30Z Read: 11,113 times
Kisubi High School Students Suspended over girls

The administrators of Kisubi High School along Entebbe Road have suspended the entire student body, with exception of Senior Four and Senior Six finalists, following a violent strike.

Parents and guardians were on Friday called to pick their children for a one-week suspension.   

The students' grievances are mostly based on separation of boys and girls during preps, which boys believe is not called for.

They also are protesting, change in administration, alleged denial of entertainment, especially watching television, movies and dancing, and high-handedness by the administrators. 

The school has nearly 1,000 students from Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, Kenya, South Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo. 

The students claim that many of the pecks they enjoyed under Administrator Irene Masango, a white Zimbabwean, in the last one year have been removed by the new administrator, a one Stewart. 

Kisubi High School is owned by a British organization known as Schole which runs schools across Africa including countries like Zimbabwe, Zambia, Nigeria and Ghana.

After running the school since late 2015, Masango was transferred to manage another newly acquired Schole school in Tanzania and was replaced by Stewart who has reportedly tried to reverse some of the things she had put in place. 

After the Monday night strike, the administrators reportedly started investigations with the aim of singling out the ringleaders. The administrators also called in the police who have been guarding the school since then. 

With investigations ongoing, the students attempted to burn the school on Thursday night. They reportedly first destroyed the fire extinguishers and set the food store ablaze, but the police moved swiftly and quelled the fire and strike. 

On Friday morning the administrators resolved to suspend the entire student body, with exception of the Senior Four and Senior Six who are sitting their mock examinations. 

A letter from the Head teacher Isaac Kahinda to all parents and guardians says "during this week the school has experienced a serious behavior incident that involved a number of students from classes across the school", but does not specify the incidents. 

Kahinda writes that "we are determined that bad behavior by any student will not be tolerated", adding that "we believe strongly that if our students are to achieve high marks in their O and A level examinations the school must maintain high standards of good behavior at all times".

According to Kahinda, "most of the students support this aim but a minority of students has let the school down badly and these culprits are in the process of being dealt with".  

He head teacher says the one-week suspension is to "identify and discipline the culprits", adding that the safety and welfare of the students is of highest priority. 

Consequently, the school administration has extended the school term by one week to August 25th 2017.