Novelist Kakwenza produced in Court without lawyers, remanded to Kitalya

Posted: 2022-01-11T09:57:03Z
Novelist Kakwenza produced in Court without lawyers, remanded to Kitalya

Security agencies have succumbed to pressure and presented Novelist Kakwenza Rukirabashaija before the Buganda Road Chief Magistrates Court presided over by the Chief Magistrate Dr Douglas Singiza.


Singiza read to him two charges of offensive communication this morning before remanding him to Kitalya Prison in absence of his lawyers. 


Prosecution told Court that on December 24, 2021 while in Kampala District, Kakwenza willfully and repeatedly, used his Twitter handle @KakwenzaRukira to disturb the peace of his Excellency General Yoweri Kaguta Museveni with no purpose of legitimate communication.


Court also heard that between  December 26 and 28 2021, Kakwenza used the same Twitter handle to disturb the peace of President Museveni's son Lt General Muhoozi Kainerugaba with no purpose of legitimate communication.


Kakwenza denied the charges in the absence of his lawyers and journalists and was subsequently remanded to Kitalya Government's Prison until January 21, 2022.


The move comes just a day after High Court Judge Musa Ssekaana issued an order directing the Commander of Special Forces Command Brigadier Peter Candia, the Inspector General of Police Martin Okoth Ochola, CID Director Grace Akullo and the Attorney General to produce him before his court and show cause as to why he has been in detention for more than the mandatory 48 hours without being charged.


They were given up to tomorrow Wednesday to produce the EN International Writer of Courage 2021 in Court.


Kakwenza was arrested on December 28, 2021, from his residence in Kisaasi, a Kampala suburb and had since then told relatives that he was being detained by the Special Forces Command in Entebbe.